Hiccups are totally weird - an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm... Babies in the womb get hiccups FFS, now that is doubly weird, have you ever had hiccups whilst your baby in your tummy also has hiccups?! Ok so weird stuff happens, key is, how to get rid of them. It is one of those things which has 101 old wives tales as solutions, and everyone seems to have a different one that works for them. Personally having tried loads of them over the years, the one that works for me is filling a cup with water and sipping it BACKWARDS whilst breathing in through my nose calmly. Works, every time. As a kids I tired holding my breath til I nearly passed out, asking people to make me jump and breathing really fast - all hopeless. Got I solution to hiccups ? Do share, you don't know how many people you may be helping! Hic!
- The longest bout of hiccups lasted from 1922 until February 1990.
- No-one knows for sure why hiccups exist in the first place.
- Hiccups are known to occur in almost all mammals
- The medical term for the hiccups is singultus
- One poor bloke had the hiccups for 69 years